Happy August! It's Leo season; it's my BIRTHDAY month; it's an all-around great time. This month's picture is from August 2015, when I was getting settled into my new apartment in DC. I was looking through August pictures of years past, trying to pick the one for this post, and I realized that there's a theme of sunflowers in the past few years. 2015, I have the pictures of farmer's market sunflowers outside and in my room. 2016, I took pictures of sunflowers that I brought home to my second DC apartment. 2017, I went to a sunflower field in Michigan with Sonja and took some gorgeous pictures. So now it's my new goal for every August — find sunflowers to enjoy.
Here were my goals for the month of July:
1. Drink at least 90 ounces of water every day — and track it!
This didn't quite happen. It's easy to fall off the wagon early in the month and think, "Oh, I already failed at this goal, so why bother now!" That's not a great attitude to have, especially with health/wellness-related gaols, because there's no bad time to focus on taking care of yourself!
2. Exercise five days per week, and stretch or foam roll the other two days
I consistently average about 4 workouts a week, so I am going to continue to strive for five. I want to keep improving my running and getting stronger, and I have to actually get to they gym or to Orangetheory to do that.
3. Practice intermittent fasting at least four days per week
I rocked this at the beginning of the month but fell off with lots of activities and travel at the end of July. IF was an interesting challenge, and I look forward to actually doing it in a dedicated way starting in August.
4. Plan and enjoy my very first multi-day solo trip
San Diego was a success! First pictures are here, and I'll be writing a recap post soon.
5. Read three books — including one physical book (not on my Kindle)
I finished four books this month! My Oxford Year by Julia Whelan (which was a paperback), Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan, The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo, and China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan. All were excellent, and I really hope I get the third book in the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy soon (I'm #7 on the list at the library). The movie comes out August 15th!
6. Meal plan every Sunday (except before my week-long trip)
Sometimes I didn't get around to it until Monday, and I certainly didn't always follow my meal plan, but doing it is a start.
7. Use my MoviePass twice
Done! I saw the Mr. Rogers documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor? with Erin, and I saw Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again on my trip to San Diego. It seems like MoviePass is not long for this world, so I hope I get to enjoy it once more before they pull the plug on it.
8. Actually bring and use reusable bags for grocery shopping
It's amazing what taking the reusable bags out of the closet and actually putting them in the car will do! I think I only went to the grocery store once this month and needed to get bags there. It's something I'm definitely going to keep up.
Here are my goals for the month of August:
1. Track my wellness goals (workouts, water, intermittent fasting, etc.) in my new planner
2. Drink 90 ounces of water per day
3. Exercise five days per week, and stretch or foam roll twice per week
4. Practice intermittent fasting four days per week
5. Ride my bike three times
6. Go one month without shopping (number 99 on my 101 things list, and desperately needed after an expensive week in San Diego)
7. Celebrate my birthday joyfully — love those who can be here, and try not to be too sad about those who are out of town
8. Find sunflowers to enjoy